On-campus housing has been part of this campus well before the official formation of IUPUI in 1969. In fact, the Department of Housing was originally established 11 years prior in 1958, and on-campus housing has been traced back to 1914 when nine nursing students first moved into Long Hospital.
Between 1914 and present day these housing options were at one time part of the campus housing community but are no longer present on the IUPUI campus:
- 1920s: Two stucco—clad cottages—housing for student nurses
- 1940s: Winona Village—temporary housing for medical and dental students, interns, and residents
- 1953: Student Union Building—fourth and fifth floor also for interns, residents, and medical and dental students
- 1958: Warthin Apartments—housing for married medical and dental students, later featuring International House, which became the first housing learning community at IUPUI in 1991
Current housing options span quite an array of history and amenities when it comes to traditional campus housing. Housing options currently in our housing portfolio include:
Ball Residence Hall, now home to more than 325 first-year residents, the Living Your Freshman Experience program, and various campus offices, was originally built in 1928 as additional on-campus housing made possible by a gift from the Ball brothers of Muncie, Indiana. In the original construction, Ball Hall featured a gymnasium, library, offices, and house-mother apartments as well as class rooms and laboratories. Still today, remnants of these original features and the classic architecture of 1928 can be seen throughout the residence hall. Ball Annex was later constructed in two phases to provide additional housing for the student nurses. The first two floors were constructed in 1945 followed by the third and fourth floors in 1957. In the summer of 2013 Ball Hall received several facility upgrades including a lobby renovation, new resident furniture in every room, and every resident room was repainted.
IUPUI Townhomes, donated in 1981 by Lou Jenn (founder of Jenn-Air Grills), were part of a new modular design business venture for the Jenn-Air Products Company. Originally built as 40 units, 8 units were demolished to make way for the Ronald McDonald House expansion in 1986 and later, in 1999, 8 more units were removed to allow for the construction of the IUPUI Center for Young Children. The Townhomes are currently home to 60 IUPUI students.
Riverwalk Apartments, originally named Campus Apartments on the River Walk, opened in 2003 and 2004 as construction was completed in phases on the former site of Warthin Apartments. These apartments provided new accommodations for over 700 students and the focus on residential based learning communities continued with International House and Honors house as part of the original buildings. Residential based learning communities expanded with the addition of Purdue House and Women in Science House in 2005, and many more residential based learning communities are now featured in this community.
University Tower, formerly the University Place Hotel, was once a four diamond hotel and conferencing staple in downtown Indianapolis. With the increasing demand for on-campus student housing and classroom space, and the need to reassess the viability of continuing hotel and conference center operations, the decision to convert this facility from a hotel and conference center to first-year student housing, classroom space, and a traditional university dining facility was announced in the spring of 2012 with approximately 14 months to prepare for its inaugural first-year class to move in for fall of 2013. University Tower uniquely combines the feature comforts expected from a high-end hotel with traditional residence hall living for incoming first year students.
Even with the addition of over 500 spaces in University Tower, on-campus housing at IUPUI continues to grow and the housing options and residence life programming and support resources continue to expand as well to meet the changing needs of our student residents. Whether it’s the nostalgia of living in a gem of IUPUI history or the luxury of living in what was once a four diamond hotel, traditional on-campus living at IUPUI is sure to have an option designed to support your academic and professional ambitions.