Explore Job Listings
Looking for a job that allows you to make new friends, build leadership skills, and be part of a team? If so, you may be interested in one of the job opportunities offered through the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
The following positions are closed:
- Student Office Assistants
- Summer Housing Univergraduate Internship
- Graduate Assistantships
Resident Assistants (RA) - OPEN
Resident Assistants (RAs) provide leadership in a residential area on the IUPUI campus. The RA is responsible for encouraging community among residents, enforcing policies, providing after hour services and maintaining an atmosphere conducive for academic success. Each RA reports to a Graduate Hall Director or Residence Coordinator who provides guidance, support, and feedback in meeting job expectations. In general, the Resident Assistant position demands a great deal of availability, especially in the evenings.
Responsibilities of an RA may include the following:
- Assist residents in meeting academic needs by helping them to develop good study habits and encouraging discussion within the community.
- Help maintain an environment appropriate for academic success. Encourage self-discipline by helping with educational programs.
- Build a rapport with the residents by getting to know their strengths and weaknesses, and be willing to provide appropriate referrals.
- Aid in administrative functions by documenting interactions, both positive and negative, with the residents.
- Serve as a liaison between residents and campus administration.
- Know the various resources on campus and helps students locate the appropriate service.
- Servce in an on-call rotation for the community.
In addition to a Resident Assistant’s regular responsibilities, you will be expected to participate in at least one collateral assignment. Collateral assignments may include:
- Hosting weekly study tables.
- Aiding in the development and execution of the LYFE Scholars program.
- Participating in campus wide events.
- Planning active/passive programs that focus on areas of diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice.
- Serving as a student staff representative for the department either on the housing advisory board or the residence hall and advisory councils.
- Working with the professional staff to create fall and winter training sessions.
- Assisting the Office of Sustainability with recycling efforts and education.
Interested candidates must meet the following qualifications for employment:
- Be enrolled as a full-time sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student during the 2015 – 2016 employment period.
- Hold a cumulative 2.75 GPA (based on IU hours) at the time of application and maintain a 2.75 semester/cumulative GPA through the employment period.
- Be in good academic, disciplinary, and employment standing with the university.
- Be able to successfully complete a background check conducted by IU Human Resources.
- Have the ability to return to campus prior to the start of the academic year to participate in RA training.
Applicants must also attend a mandatory information session to learn more about the role as an RA. Sessions will be held at the dates and locations listed below.
Contract & Compensation
Residence Life positions are contracted for one full academic year (consecutive Fall and Spring semesters). The contract period includes all pre-service and in-service training. All staff are required to be in-residence and to participate fully in all training and operational activities which commence prior to the opening of the residence halls. The staff is expected to stay through the last day of finals in the fall and through Commencement in the spring.
Compensation includes a room/apartment and a monetary stipend (paid over 19 – 22 pay periods). Some community placements also include a meal plan.
Applications must be submitted by Firday, December 19th at 4:00 p.m to the main Housing Office. To download a copy of the information packet and application, click here.