Addendum to Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis Housing (the “Housing Contract”)
This Addendum is between you and the Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis Office of Housing and Residential Life (“HRL”) on behalf of The Trustees of Indiana University (the “University;” collectively the “parties”). Your acceptance of the terms of this Addendum is indicated by electronic submission of this Addendum. If you are under 18 years of age, this Addendum will not be effective unless your parent or guardian agrees to its terms via electronic submission.
The parties entered into the Housing Contract prior to the execution date of this Addendum, and the parties now agree to amend the Housing Contract on the terms and conditions set forth in this Addendum, in consideration of the obligations set forth in the existing Housing Contract and the following consideration, the sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged.
The parties hereby agree as follows:
- The HRL Residential Handbook has been updated to specifically include a section related to COVID-19 and is incorporated by reference into your Housing Contract. The revised terms are designed to protect the health and safety of our students and minimize the potential spread of viruses within our community. Also, and to that end, you will be required to take and provide the University with the results of a COVID-19 test administered no more than ten (10) days before your scheduled move in date (as discussed in Paragraph 5). If your test result is positive, you will, at a minimum, not be permitted to move in and you must self-quarantine for fourteen (14) days. If you were previously diagnosed with COVID-19 and have recovered, you must still take a test within ten (10) days before your scheduled move-in date and provide the University with the test results.
- HRL will implement intensive cleaning protocols to address COVID-19 or other public health emergencies in the interest of minimizing the spread of disease and will reinforce personal responsibilities to promote campus community health and safety. HRL will educate and inform residential students on appropriate cleaning protocols within their assigned unit and shared spaces to reduce the spread of COVID-19 within residence halls.
- Paragraph 13 of the Housing Contract is amended to include the following: If because of COVID-19, you are required to self-quarantine or self-isolate or if the University needs to de-densify the residence hall to which you are assigned, you agree to relocate to alternative housing identified by the University.
- Paragraph 50(g) of the Housing Contract is amended to include the following: If you must medically withdraw from the University for reasons related to COVID-19 infection, HRL agrees to waive the breakage fee associated with terminating the Housing Contract early, so long as the University’s medical withdrawal process is completed and approved.
- Paragraph 7 of the Housing Contract is replaced with the following: The Contract Start Date means the earlier of the date you move in or August 22, 2020. You will have the opportunity to select a time and date between August 12, 2020 and August 22, 2020 for your move-in. Housing costs and fees will not be prorated or otherwise refunded based on the selected date of your move-in. A Move-In Meal Plan will be charged to your bursar account if you move in before August 22, 2020 at a daily rate based on your scheduled move-in date. The Contract End Date is the earlier of the day you vacate your assigned unit and no later than November 25, 2020, unless otherwise mentioned herein, ahead of the Thanksgiving break period, as you will conclude the remainder of the fall semester remotely, per the University’s revised academic calendar.
- In limited circumstances, the University will allow students to remain on campus past November 25, 2020 as follows:
Residents who receive approval to remain on campus during Intersession 1 and/or Intersession 2 will be charged the University approved housing rate for the respective semester. Residents who receive approval to remain on campus during the Winter Break period will be charged a fixed cost, flat rate determined by the University. The Resident will be charged this rate through a separate billing process.If you wish to remain in on-campus housing later than November 25, 2020, you must submit a petition online at least 10 days prior to that date. Your petition must be approved and such approval is at the sole discretion of the University. Failure to submit your petition online within this timeframe may result in denial of your petition. HRL reserves the right to temporarily change your housing assignment during any Intersession or Winter Break period.
- Intersession 1: November 26, 2020-December 20, 2020
- Winter Break: December 21, 2020-January 7, 2021
* Note: If any services are provided during this time, they will be extremely limited
- Intersession 2: January 8, 2021-January 31, 2021
- Paragraph 43 of the Housing Contract is replaced with the following: Rent will be charged at the rate approved by the University for the Contract Start Date-December 21, 2020, and for January 8, 2021-May 9, 2021. For those students who are not approved to stay in HRL housing during Intersession 1 or 2, the updated housing rates can be found here.
- Paragraph 50 is amended to include the following: If your circumstances have changed since you first signed your Housing Contract due to COVID-19 and you have determined that living on campus is no longer feasible for you, or if your plans have changed due to COVID-19 and you will not be attending IUPUI, you may cancel your Housing Contract by submitting a Contract Cancellation Form.
- Paragraph 31 of the Housing Contract is amended to include the following: The University may choose whether to refund any portion of the housing fees paid if the student is required to vacate or relocate pursuant to any emergency or exigent circumstances and the University determines that the student received the substantial benefit of this agreement. Exigent circumstances include, but are not limited to, University decisions related to community health and safety, including those related to COVID-19 or other public health or safety emergencies. These determinations will be made by the University in its sole discretion.
- Acknowledgment, Assumption of Risk, and Hold Harmless: You understand that by residing in HRL housing, you are assuming the risks associated with communal living and, as in any shared living environment, those risks include potential exposure to contagious viruses, including COVID-19. You agree to release and fully discharge the Trustees of Indiana University, its agents, and employees from any and all damages, liability, claims, expenses (including attorney’s fees), or losses (collectively, “Claims”) related in any way to your use of space within HRL Housing, including those related to the potential or actual exposure to contagious viruses like COVID-19, and to indemnify and hold harmless the University, its agents, and employees from any Claims related in any way to your breach of the terms and conditions of your Housing Contract and/or this Addendum, or a breach by any third party, including, but not limited to other residents, of an applicable Housing Contract and/or this Addendum.
- If my child is under 18:
- I, as the parent or legal guardian, acknowledge and agree to the updated terms contained in this Addendum, as well as the updated terms of the HRL Residential Handbook, including those specifically related to COVID-19, on behalf of my child.
- Acknowledgment, Assumption of Risk, and Hold Harmless: I understand that by my child residing in HRL housing, I, on behalf of my child, am assuming the risks associated with communal living and, as in any shared living environment, those risks include potential exposure to contagious viruses, including COVID-19. I, on behalf of my child, hereby agree to release and fully discharge the Trustees of Indiana University, its agents, and employees from any and all damages, liability, claims, expenses (including attorney’s fees), or loss (collectively, “Claims”) related in any way to my child’s use of space within RPS Housing, including those related to the potential or actual exposure to contagious viruses like COVID-19, that may be brought by me or my child, and to indemnify and hold harmless the University its agents, and employees from any Claims related in any way to my child’s breach of the terms and conditions of the Housing Contract and/or this Addendum, or a breach by any third party, including, but not limited to other residents, of an applicable Housing Contract and/or Addendum.
- By checking the box below, initialing, and submitting this document, I understand that I am binding not only myself and my child, but also the successors, heirs, representatives, administrators, and assigns of myself and my child.
- All of the provisions in the Housing Contract remain in full effect except as indicated in this Addendum. All defined terms in the Housing Contract retain their same meaning in this Addendum unless otherwise specified. To the extent there is a conflict between the terms of the Housing Contract and the terms of this Addendum, the terms of this Addendum govern.
By checking the box below, initialing, and submitting this document, I acknowledge and agree to the updated terms contained in this Addendum, as well as the updated terms of the HRL Residential Handbook, including those specifically related to COVID-19.