Ball Residence Hall was originally built in 1928 as additional on-campus housing made possible by a gift from the Ball brothers of Muncie, Indiana. In the original construction, Ball Hall featured a gymnasium, library, offices, and house-mother apartments as well as class rooms and laboratories. Still today, remnants of these original features and the classic architecture of 1928 can be seen throughout the residence hall. Ball Annex was later constructed in two phases to provide additional housing for the student nurses. The first two floors were constructed in 1945 followed by the third and fourth floors in 1957. In the summer of 2013 Ball Hall received several facility upgrades including a lobby renovation, new resident furniture in every room, and every resident room was repainted. Ball Hall is now undergoing a 16.7 million dollar renovation which will include adding air conditioning to the resident rooms, newly constructed bathrooms, and updates to the building's infastructure.
Originally named Campus Apartments on the River Walk, opened in 2003 and 2004 as construction was completed in phases on the former site of Warthin Apartments. Each of the buildings in Riverwalk Apartments were named in honor of a past IUPUI community leader.
University Tower, formerly the University Place Hotel, was once a four diamond hotel and conferencing staple in downtown Indianapolis. With the increasing demand for on-campus student housing and classroom space, and the need to reassess the viability of continuing hotel and conference center operations, the decision to convert this facility from a hotel and conference center to first-year student housing, classroom space, and a traditional university dining facility was announced in the spring of 2012 with approximately 14 months to prepare for its inaugural first-year class to move in for fall of 2013.